• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Awards 2011

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
ASB Central's main event hall sees little use--after all, with tournaments and contests that never finish, there's not much opportunity for closing ceremonies. There is one event that the big building reliably plays host to. As fall approaches, the first stirrings of life appear around the hall as cobwebs are cleared and the stage made ready for the ASB Awards. Decorations go up, catering is arranged, and at last, as the night of the event finally rolls around, trainers flock to the hall, eager to mingle with ASB's big names, scarf as much of the free food as they can manage, and enjoy a night out in ASB Central. It all comes to a close when the head referee takes to the stage, envelope in hand, to announce another year's worth of winners...

ASB Awards 2011

It's time for the fourth annual ASB Awards, an event where we honor the best and brightest of the TCoD league. All members of the league are eligible for nomination unless stated otherwise, so take a moment to give a shout-out to anyone you find particularly awesome. The awards take place in three stages:

1. Category discussion. Most categories return from last year, and Effercon has already suggested the "Best Upset" category for battles where the underdog ends up winning, so we'll give that one a try for this year. If you want to suggest a category/suggest that one be removed, do so between now and September 10th.

2. Nominations. You can nominate any number of people/battles/whatever for however many categories you like. Nominations are done by PM between September 11th and September 18th.

3. Voting. You can submit a vote for as many or as few of the categories as you like between September 19th and October 2nd.

As always, the results will be posted on the league's birthday, October 4th.

The Awards

ASBer of the Year
Prize: $100, two rare candies, any buyable pokémon w/DW ability
Other: Kratos Aurion, Meowth, and Negrek are ineligible

blazheirio889
Coloursfall
Crazy Linoone
Squornshellous Beta
Zhorken

Best Battler
Prize: $80, rare candy, any buyable pokémon w/DW ability

Byrus
Coloursfall
Crazy Linoone
Lord of the Fireflies
Negrek

Best Referee
Prize: $80, rare candy, any buyable pokémon w/DW ability

blazheirio889
Kratos Aurion
Negrek
Squornshellous Beta
Superbird
Zhorken

Best New ASBer
Prize: $75 and a rare candy or any buyable pokémon w/DW ability
Other: Eligible players are those who joined the league after September 1st, 2010

bulbasaur
Lord of the Fireflies
The Omskivar

Best New Referee
Prize: $75 and a rare candy or any buyable pokémon w/DW ability
Other: Eligible referees are those who were approved for the first time after September 1st, 2010

Mai
Skyman
Squornshellous Beta
Star69
Superbird
Whirlpool

Best Battle
Prize: $40 and rare candy for all participants

Mosh Pit Free-For-All Battle
Lord of the Fireflies vs Blastoise
Negrek vs blazheirio889
Lucas755 vs Whirlpool

Most Improved Battler
Prize: $30 and a rare candy

Denryu
Grass King
HighMoon
Karkat Vantas
Whirlpool

Most Entertaining Battle
Prize: $25 to all participants

Lord of the Fireflies vs Blastoise
ole_schooler vs Crazy Linoone
ultraviolet vs Zhorken
Karkat Vantas vs Metallica Fanboy IV
Squornshellous Beta vs. Crazy Linoone

Biggest Upset
Prize: $25 to the winner(s) of the battle

Grass King defeating Metallica Fanboy
Squornshellous Beta defeating Crazy Linoone
Ampharos defeating Grass King
Mai defeating HighMoon
Whirlpool defeating Coloursfall

Most Valiant Defeat
Prize: $25 to the defeated player(s)

Legendaryseeker99, in Metallica Fanboy & Grass King vs. Karkat Vantas & Legendaryseeker99
ole_schooler, in their battle against Star69
ole_schooler, in their battle against Crazy Linoone

Most Helpful ASBer
Prize: $25

Byrus
Kratos Aurion
Squornshellous Beta

Best Arena
Prize: $25 to the creator of the arena

The Battledome by Coloursfall
Bowl of Lucky Charms by Melodic Harmony
The Hax Subway by Negrek
The Piece Of Land With A Small Pink House That Hangs Up In The Sky by Lord of the Fireflies
The Pilferbot Room by Metallica Fanboy
Restaurant of Global Cuisines by Squornshellous Beta
Silver "Cupcakes" Platter by Glace

Best Strategy
Prize: $25 to the user of the strategy

Karkat Vantas, in his match against ultraviolet
Lord of the Fireflies, in his match against Whirlpool and RespectTheBlade
Mai, in their match against Mawile
Negrek, in her battle against Zapdos
Whirlpool, in his match against Big Red Cherry Bomb

Best Signature Move
Prize: $25 to the creator of the move

Chucklevoodoo by Negrek
Despair for the Conceited by Grate Aural Sects
Screw the Rules, I Have Money by Meowth

Best Signature Attribute
Prize: $25 to the creator of the attribute

In Unova by Kratos Aurion
Inherent Dorstultitis by Karkat Vantas
Keeping an Open Mind by Blastoise Fortooate
Sign of the Scorpion by Coloursfall
Slam Poet by Karkat Vantas

Best Profile
Prize: $25 to the profile's owner

Arylett Dawnsborough
Coloursfall
Mendatt
Squornshellous Beta
Metallica Fanboy

Best Nickname
Prize: $15 to the creator of the nickname

Beatle (Metallica Fanboy's deino)
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK (Metallica Fanboy's rufflet)
Capt. Plantpants (Mendatt's cherubi)
Doppelgäng'd (Denryu's mareep)
Karkat is awesome! (all of Karkat Vantas' lillipup)
Mimbulus Mimbletonia (ultraviolet’s Maractus)
Suckern (Metallica Fanboy's sunkern)
Tiptaptwo (Colourfalls' Doduo)
wooooooooooooo (Zora of Termina's Woobat)
Zeus (Chief Zackrai's bidoof)

Last edited:
I don't think there were any new fakemon submitted and approved between the previous awards and now.

Just a question, but I assume I'm not eligible for Best New ASBer? Just checking to make sure, as I did restart my account and everything.

Wow, fancy stuff out there. I was just wondering if we could nominate one of our own battles (not ourselves though, that would be awkward) because usually, besides the ref and the players, only a few of our fellow ASBers would actually take a look at it.

Also, what's the big difference between best and most entertaining battle?

EDIT: Category suggestion: most improved referee.

lol LotF trying to find categories he might fit into

Last edited:
If "most improved referee" gets the OK, then there should be a "best new referee" too.

I totally think there should be a prize for worst battler, unless it runs the issue of offending someone. (BTW: I would be totally fine with winning that prize.)

Oh, and Negrek, I know that sometimes when people have to get nominated for something, they have to either accept or decline the nomination. Do you handle that in any sort of fashion?

EDIT: oh hey, how do you check your join date of the league?

I think there should be an award for the "Best Person With An Abomasnow In Their Reserves".

After you do this-- if you won a category last time, would you be eligible for the category again?

The Merit Award. This award is given to someone who has made an unprecedented and outstanding achievement in ASB over the past year, and there can only be one nominee (therefore, no voting in this category - it's a special award). With that said, if this is given the green light, the person and achievement I would like to put forth for the Merit Award is...

Crazy Linoone, for becoming the first ASBer to rack up 10 non-DQ victories.

EDIT: @LS99: With an average of .035, the "winner" of that category would actually be Dave Strider, who no longer comes here.

Just a question, but I assume I'm not eligible for Best New ASBer? Just checking to make sure, as I did restart my account and everything.
You're not, sorry.

Wow, fancy stuff out there. I was just wondering if we could nominate one of our own battles (not ourselves though, that would be awkward) because usually, besides the ref and the players, only a few of our fellow ASBers would actually take a look at it.

Also, what's the big difference between best and most entertaining battle?

EDIT: Category suggestion: most improved referee.

lol LotF trying to find categories he might fit into
No, you can't nominate a battle that you participated in, arena you created, etc (or yourself, for that matter).

There is no large difference. "Best" being taken to be more "this is an exemplary battle" versus "this was a really fun/hilarious/otherwise entertaining battle." A metronome battle would probably not be a "best battle," but it might be "most entertaining." Those are usually the kinds of battles that get nominated for that award.

Hmm, maybe on the category. I don't know that there are really a lot of referees around that would be eligible, though. Is anyone else interested in this?

If "most improved referee" gets the OK, then there should be a "best new referee" too.
"Best New Referee" I like. We'll give it a shot--again, not really sure if there are enough people eligible for it to be worth it, but we'll give it a shot.

I totally think there should be a prize for worst battler, unless it runs the issue of offending someone. (BTW: I would be totally fine with winning that prize.)

Oh, and Negrek, I know that sometimes when people have to get nominated for something, they have to either accept or decline the nomination. Do you handle that in any sort of fashion?

EDIT: oh hey, how do you check your join date of the league?
No negative categories ("worst" anything, etc.).

People nominate and I edit their nominations into the thread--so there's no need to accept a nomination for it to be valid. If ever anybody doesn't want to accept their nomination in a given category, they can just let me know and I'll take them off the list.

To check your join date, go back to the old bank thread (or the even older one) and advanced search on your user name to find your first post there. The date it was posted counts as your join date. If you joined after the hack was implemented, of course you're eligible for the award, and in future years its records will be used to determine join dates if it becomes an issue.

I think there should be an award for the "Best Person With An Abomasnow In Their Reserves".

After you do this-- if you won a category last time, would you be eligible for the category again?
There is currently no bar on winning a category multiple times, with the exception of "ASBer of the Year."

"Battler with the worst win/loss average."
I bet I'd get it.
The awards are for subjective things--no point in voting on who has the best win/loss average, right? It's not really something that has anything to do with public opinion.

The Merit Award. This award is given to someone who has made an unprecedented and outstanding achievement in ASB over the past year, and there can only be one nominee (therefore, no voting in this category - it's a special award). With that said, if this is given the green light, the person and achievement I would like to put forth for the Merit Award is...

Crazy Linoone, for becoming the first ASBer to rack up 10 non-DQ victories.

EDIT: @LS99: With an average of .035, the "winner" of that category would actually be Dave Strider, who no longer comes here.
Again, purely objective achievements aren't what these awards are about.

Just two months away from being eligible (not that I'd even be nominated)...

I like the idea of the referee awards!

What about best single reffing? It parallels best arena and best singature things well and I'd actually have a shot at that despite my chronic reffing lateness.

No negative categories ("worst" anything, etc.).

Dang. I was hoping on winning something.

I definitely understand; calling people the worst at something is always touchy unless they have good humor, which a surprisingly low amount of people actually do when it comes down to things like this. I was just kind of throwing it out there.

Does anyone else think that Meowth's Meowth's attribute has got Best Signature Attribute in the bag?
Because it does. Obviously.

Back
Top Bottom